Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Something Old

My Grandmother had this sewing machine in her house for many years. Growing up I remember this sewing machine. So my Uncle had the finish striped off to redo it....well he never did. Then they moved my Grandmother into a rest home and he put it up in storage. Little did he and us know the building had a leak......so it sat there with moisture getting to it. Finally I was able to get it. It now sits in my sewing room. My husband is going to refinish it, and see if he can wire brush the rust off the metal pieces. I need to replace the belt on the wheel too. I don't plan on ever sewing with it, BUT at least it's going to be taken care of now!!

There was a few little odds and ends in the drawers.......needles, buttons, snaps, hook-n-eyes,
and even some quilting thread. I love the little wooden spools!! Check out the thread with the price on it.....22 cents....I only wish I could find 22 cent thread now.

11 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the complements! That sewing machine is awesome! Your items in your etsy store are great too!

Blythe Hopes Vintage said...

My granny has the same one!

jonahbonah said...

My grandma had the same one...I left it behind when I left my old house (on accident) The thought sickens me now!!!
Maybe one day I'll find one like it at a good price!

Melissa
theperfecttrio.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

those are so beautiful to me. i'd love to have a couple in my future not located in my house sewing studio just for decoration.

i always enjoy finding old spools of thread.


(the dollar store here...dollar general...has 22 cents thread)

Cthings said...

Okay girl that is too cool. I have one also of my grandmas right now in my basement. I don't use it but kept it. What year? I have a 1922. I'll have to send you pics sometime. It was fun to find what was in the drawers. I remember playing under it as a kid.

Unknown said...

My grandma had one too! Was that the only machine made back then?

Michelle said...

I'm in love. My great-grandmother had a similar one, not sure if it was exactly the same or not, I wonder what happened to it?

moxylyn said...

I am really, really, jealous.

FrostedTreats said...

What a find!! I love old sewing machines, they are so elegant looking. Enjoy it!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Lovely ol' Singer! And I LOVE the old wooden spools as well!

Kate Carpenter said...

my grandma had one too!