Sunday, November 16, 2008

Weekend Wrap Up

If there was any weekend I want to see over this weekend would be it!! Friday night I woke up around 2:30 am to hear on the tv they are calling for a tornado to hit in our area. I was freakin' out, I woke up my hubby and we got our daughter up in case we needed to get in the closet. It was raining really hard, and I could hear the wind blowing, and it was lighting and thundering too. On the news they had this map saying we had about 8 minutes to take cover........and then it updated and the tornado made a slight turn to the east north. It hit down 10 minutes from my house. I have never been so scared, my hubby said I was freaky out bad. I remember getting a blanket and sitting down by my bed with my daughter beside me, while hubby watched the news. I felt so sad the next day. The news report some injuries, two deaths and a lot of damage.
You can read more about it here.

Then Saturday afternoon we get a phone call that my brother-in-law's mother passed away. I only met her a few times and she was one of the nicest person. She had cancer for the last couple of months.

Then Saturday night has we were sitting down to eat diner, our lights go out. It's dark, no lights on down the street. So we ate candlelight. After we ate we lit more candles and found our lanterns. We played cards and talked about this weekend. Finally after 2 1/2 hours they fixed the power and we all had lights. It's just been crazy here.

Here are some pics of the tornado that hit down.

Amazing how one home can be destroyed and the one beside it hardly gets any damage.


This one was really damaged.


There was a lot of trees down, you could drive down streets and see the direct path it took.



This barn was damages, and there was wood in the trees!
More stuff in the trees.

The trailer of this big truck was blown over.

Hard to believe this house was a brick house.....!
I hope your weekend was better than mine.


6 comments:

Cthings said...

OH, my goodness. I am scared of tornados too. I'm so glad you are safe, but sad to see the damage and hear of deaths. Take care!

Unknown said...

8 minutes to take cover!?!? i know i would have panicked.

i can only imagine how hard it is to deal with the death of a loved one at the hands of a natural disaster. :-(

Laura said...

WOW!! I have jokingly wished that my house would be hit by a tornado but I don't think I could have actually handled it. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

moxylyn said...

I saw this on our local news. They were warning us incase it headed our direction. I'm in VA, just 15 minutes from the NC border. We had tornadoes strike near us in April. My husband was in line at the bank and some guy in there was saying his neighbors living room wall ended up in his house. Tornadoes are scary! Glad you are all ok. Sorry to hear about your BIL's Mom.

Jan said...

Wow, it was indeed a TERRIBLE weekend in your area! I'm so sorry for all who live there, and for your own personal lose.

I grew up in Kansas myself (I'm not there anymore), so I do understand fear of tornadoes!

~Marie~ said...

Oh my! Thank goodness you are safe!!