Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Do you know what time it is? It's...........




Last week at Shelby's school they had Homecoming week where they got to wear certain things like hats, school colors, dress like twins....this week is red ribbon week which means Say no to Drugs and they have crazy hat day, pj day, red ribbons day. So last week we made this cute ribbon ponytail holder to match her school colors. It's very easy to do!!

Great thing about this is you can make them with any colors, and theme ribbons like Christmas.
My daughter likes these because they are not BOWS. But it's a fun way to "dress" up any plain ponytail.


To get started you will need:
-------------------------------
Grosgrain Ribbon (colors/print of your choice and width sizes)
Ponytail elastic band
Hot glue gun and glue stick ( in photos I used e6000 first but then decided to go with hot glue gun because it dries FAST.)
Lighter or match (used to heat seal your ribbon after they are cut)
Scissors


STEP 1:
Cut your ribbon the length you desire. If you leave them a little longer you can always go back and trim shorter.
I cut the longest one at 16" and then cut each on on top a little shorter.


STEP 2:

Take a lighter or match and hold the flame just at the tip of each end of ribbon to heat seal it. It will melt the ends some so it will not fray.

STEP 3:

In between each layer find the middle and place a dot of glue .
(I suggest using the hot glue gun because it will dry fast, so no waiting for glue to dry)

Step 4:

Cut a small piece of ribbon and glue on top in the middle, this will be wrapping around the ponytail holder. You can see it better in the next step.

STEP 5:

Once small piece of ribbon is dried flip over and glue the ponytail band in the middle. Just use small dot of glue.

STEP 6:

Now fold over one side and place dot of glue under the folded part, let dry and then do same on the other side.

STEP 7:

IF you are using E6000 you will need a clothespin to hold in place to dry completely. But if your are using hot glue and gun it will dry quick.

STEP 8:

Place in hair and step back and admire your work!!!!!

If you decided to make any ribbon ponytail holders please let me know, I would love to see them. If you would like to place this tutorial on your blog please do, all I ask is that you link it back to my blog......THANKS!

13 comments:

Expressions By Devin said...

Super cute pnytail holder.You have super cute blog and etsy shop.Thansk for sharing it with meL0)

Anonymous said...

Oh such fun!! n_n
Happy creative tuesday!

glitterstar said...

Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing.

manchester fat acceptance said...

So pretty - I love it!

fluffnflowers said...

Oh those are neat! I might have to try some for me!

Cthings said...

Hey thanks for the tip! What a wonderful ponytail holder! Do you think my son would wear that. They also have the same thing going on at his school. Today they had to dress mixed up. I think he is that usually.

Ribbon Wand Maker said...

This is great. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial! I've always wondered how to make those cute ponytail holders! Now I am off to raid my ribbon scrap stash!

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial! So cute. And love the black fingernail polish. :)

Anonymous said...

I love it! How darn cute. I just may have to try that myself. :)

Jo

Unknown said...

oh, that looks really good in her hair. love the creativity!

i'm reminded of all the different "days" we used to have in school. so much fun. :-)

Fuller Family said...

Thanks for the great info, I plan to use the idea for my daughter's softball team. One for the hair and one to tie up their shirt that are too long.

ZukieStyle said...

Hi just came across your blog and this tutorial, it's brilliant. I'm doing an Easter fair and was looking at making some chldren's hair accessories. Thank you!x